God's law is sacred
by Bishop Mylo Vergara
God's law is sacred. In following his law and abiding by his commandments, we show our love for him--
1) Rdg from Ecclesiasticus: God's wisdom calls us to keep His commandments;
2) Resp Psalm: The psalmist tells us that happiness is found in following God's law;
3) Rdg from Corinthians: St. Paul teaches the hidden wisdom of God in Jesus Christ;
4) Gospel of Matthew: To be wise means to go beyond the letter of the law, to abide by the spirit of the law with love. This means to follow God's commandment not to sin. So whether it is the sin of murder, anger, lust or adultery, what matters is our deep love for God and our desire not to offend him. Why is it that most of us have 'lost the sense of sin' (Blessed John Paul II)? Remember: "Sin is like circles in the water when water is thrown into it; one produces another--when anger was in Cain's heart, murder was not far off." (Philip Henry);
5) A final thought: Some would joke that there is an 11th commandment--'Thou shalt not get caught'. This just reveals that there are people who would find ways and means to get around any law. But we are taught to be law abiding citizens in this earth. However, we are citizens of the kingdom of God. Shouldn't we be law and love abiding citizens of God's kingdom here on earth?
Advise to preachers: Three characteristics of a good homily: simple, spontaneous and sincere.