by Bishop Mylo Hubert Vergara, D.D.
Who is the person in your life whom you need to forgive? Can you ask The Lord the grace to reconcile with that person?
1) Rdg from Leviticus : Holiness means not bearing hatred and vengeance but loving our neighbor as ourselves;
2) Resp Psalm: We are called to forgive because God is compassion and love;
3) Rdg from Corinthians: St. Paul tells us that we should not hurt or destroy each other because we are God's temple;
4) Gospel of Matthew: Jesus challenges us to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us because by doing so we become perfect as the heavenly Father is perfect;
5) A final thought: Forgiveness is both a decision and grace. It is a decision we should will to do now to find peace and experience healing. It is grace since we need to pray to God that we may decide to forgive those who hurt us the most. This was very real in the first word of Jesus when hung on the cross: 'Father, forgive them for they do not know what they are doing'. He made a decision to forgive and prayed for this grace from his Father.
Advise to preachers: 4 C's of a good homily: clear, concise, credible and creative.